Friday, May 23, 2008

Today's Memory

Rick dropped me a line last evening and mentioned a name I hadn't thought of in probably 39 years. Father Tom. I immediately conjured up images of Church and the 60's movement of a "kinder gentler" Church. Mass in English, not in Latin. Remodeled modern Church building. Flowing modern banners. And, Father Tom strumming his guitar rather than the organist playing.

So, today's memory is about the OLPH Church. Do any of the guys who were alter boys remember the shock you could give yourself by touching the screw on the side of the Church bell electronics cabinet and the metal handle on the sink? Zzzzaaapppp!!! I sure do. I have a few other Church memories. I'll save them for another day.

The picture to the left obviously has nothing to do with Church; it's just the evidence of the stingray from the fish story (see earlier blog). That's my folk's backyard, btw. The grass is long gone (probably about the time I left home since it was my job to cut it.)

Anyway, I'm claiming the 90% rule Rick asked for. The story is 100% true, but looking at my picture it might be post OLPH. My hair is a little long. Let's just say it was the Summer after OLPH graduation.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend...John







Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Russ said...

John,

The zapping story is true. It was almost an initiation for new altar boys. We even tested it going through several of us with one holding on to the faucet and the other using the chimes to touch the screw on the side of the cabinet. A basic experiment in shorting to ground. 8^)

You remember Father Tom, what about Father Walsh (I used to get there at 0545 and he would open the window and throw his keys down so I could open the church before mass) or Father Bergen (there were only a couple of us left that learned the Latin mass, remember?).

And I am trying to remember the other Priest, who read Jonathan Livingston Seagull to us for his homily, who loved photography and sold all his cameras to go and serve in Africa. He used to play the match-stick game with us. I also remember how sad we were when we learned he died there.