Thursday, May 22, 2008

Recess Anyone?

Here's a few of the things I remember from recess:
  • One-foot-off-the-gutter (I stunk at it. Too slow)
  • Dodge-ball (I stunk at that, too, for the same reason)
  • Four-square near the back of the rectory (I held my own in this game)
  • Pitching baseball cards in the arches (Mike Stanley's article in the Summer 2007 edition of Perpetual Light (page 4) reminded me of this) (I was better than average at it)
  • Pitching quarters along the walkway behind the Church (I made a few bucks)
  • Upper and lower play-grounds
  • I only once hopped the fence the cool way where you ran to the fence, grabbed it and sort of cartwheeled over it and landed on the other level. Ripped my sweater and never tried again.
  • No one could hop the fence between upper and lower faster than Peter J.
  • Ripping holes in my pants at the knees. Did that once on a Monday after Mom bought me new pants on Saturday at the JCPenney in Westlake. I was able to keep it from her for maybe two weeks. I think she made me iron on my own patch that time.

2 comments:

Genise aka Nisa said...

Hi John,

I will always remember "THE LINE"
I tell stories about the line -
I loved to stand at the line and smile at the nuns!

Hopscotch was my favorite!

Take Care - nisa

Russ said...

Wow,
Talk about blasts from the past. Great hearing from Rick. I came home tonight and my Wife say's "one of your girlfriends called you today!" Guess who it was?
Now what husband wants to hear his Wife say that when he walks in the door... So I start naming some co-workers and notice she is laughing at me. All I could get out of her was is was from 1969. The she claimed she couldn't remember anything other than Rick Pacheco would be calling me in the next couple of days. A couple of hours later bringggg.

Great to hear we are getting back together. I am up for meeting before if you like. Can even host it at my home if you like.

Memories, how about what some of us would do during the summer? Carrying our bowling balls from our homes all the way to Serra bowl (and back of course). Or getting together to go fishing at Lake Merced. Or the summer they opened the bike paths in Golden Gate Park and we were determined to ride them all! Wow, good memories.

Thanks to Rick and Nisa for getting this together.

Russ