Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chill'in

My last great adventure this time around was a Wednesday trip to Sattui Castle in Napa Valley (Castello di Amorosa). My sister Theresa (whom we affectionately call Tweater) picked out the destination and we thought we'd check it out. As you can see it has an authentic look. Upon entering we went to the cashier and purchased our wine tasting tickets. We got both a regular set and a set for tasting their reserve. The three of us shared those tastes since I was only taking a few tastes. There are also tours you can get for $25 each, but you can wander yourselves in areas that are not roped off. If anyone knows the Bascoms you know we made a beeline for the cellar area where the wine tasting takes place. The people there were very helpful and pulled out a table and chair for my mother to use while my sister and I bellied up to the bar. Although I only tasted a few wines I did taste one white reserve that I loved, so I bought a bottle for Thursday consumption. (Please be advised if you call me on this day there are no guarantees I will be able to maintain a linear conversation as I have no other plans). This winery does not sell their wines in any retail outlet. All wines are sold locally or shipped from online or mail sales. We were also able to visit the chapel, the ball room, and some wine storage areas. The dungeon, tunnels, and some upper areas were off limits except for tours. Supposedly, 2/3rds of the castle spaces are below ground. We completed the entire visit in just a few hours and then had dinner outside Napa. I'd recommend a visit if you are near Calistoga (It is just short of Calistoga on Highway 29 after St. Helena).

4 comments:

Russ said...

Nice! So how was the wine?

Genise aka Nisa said...

Dear Wayne,

Thank you for continuing the reunion with photos and stories - for us who were there and classmates who could not attend!
What a gift!
I wish you a safe and relaxing trip back to Texas, I will be thinking of you!
With appreciation and love -
Nisa

valerie said...

Dear Wayne
You are probably cooling your heels in Texas by now but I just wanted to say thank you again for the reunion blog...it was exciting...dynamic...revealing(wink...wink)...and just plain fun...But most of all it was from the heart...You grew up to be a quite a nice individual...Oh what the heck...I think we all did...Enjoy your life...I am...As always...Valerie

Wabasco said...

Wow, thanks everybody. Russ, the wine was excellent. It was a late harvest white reserve that had a German flavor, not too sweet, and very light. It just melted away as you sipped it. I was text chatting with Darlene all during the sipping, so she might have a perspective on the, um, side effects. Nisa, it was my pleasure Sis. And without a doubt, you will all be on my mind. Someone else needs to pick up the blogging banner for the upcoming events. And Valerie, sweet Valerie. You made me laugh all evening long at the reunion. I agree with Darlene that the closeup picture of your face and mine is a treasure. I love it! The night was definitely revealing to me too, but I was just slower than most in figuring it out! Everyone was fun to be with and yes, we all grew up as nice people. I also agree with Susan Votaw, that during that evening we each displayed the kid we had within us (in a nice way). I look forward to the continuing adventure.