Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bascom's Babble: The Event - Part 1

Well, folks. What a reunion! One note before I begin. If anyone wants one of these photos for printing purposes email me for a higher definition photo. Although I crop these into 8x10 or 5x7 images they are also resolution-reduced for web viewing. Now, to the story (images in no special order). When I first arrived at OLPH I saw all the cars exiting the back area and my first thought was that the lot was full and these cars were heading back out. I circled around twice before I realized it was the church service letting out. I parked my car and walked to the front of the school where the line was forming, and just as I queued up I heard my name in a sweet familiar voice. There was Twila standing in front of me. Then Nisa popped over, and the fun was just beginning. We had classmates, spouses, significant others, a teacher, and even a sibling. Yes, my sister Theresa joined us to help balance the fun. I was also very happy to see Danny Cross there with his wife. His dad was a leading figure in OLPH sports all the years I was there. So while everyone else in the place is sitting and chatting and looking at the auction pieces, our guys and gals are hugging, laughing, taking lots of pictures, and just having a great time. No one laughed, giggled, or showed more teeth than Valerie, although Nisa was a close second. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I don't think any one of us seriously listened to any of the auction items. It was an extra special treat when Patti showed up. She was on her way to another function and just stopped by to say hi. This is why you won't see her on the group pictures posted earlier. It was great seeing her and she almost got stuck with us when her car was boxed in for some time. She finally escaped to her other engagement. We were one of the first tables to go up and get our dinner, which was a buffet of catered Italian food. The food was great, but I found that I had so much fun talking and sharing that I didn't go back for seconds or dessert. I wasn't the only one. Everyone continually moved from person to person sharing thoughts. One thing that kept amazing each of us was what we individually remembered. Some of us remembered sports details while others recalled parties and social events. When the big auction started not many in the class of 69 was paying attention. We were in our own little world. At one point we looked at ways to get upstairs but the stairway now has iron gates which block access. Later in my blog part 2 we will look at the portion of our evening where the upstairs was opened up to us. In the picture with Ramona you will see quite a few people at her table. She had quite the family get together with parents and a sibling. Altogether our folks were spread across three tables. Speaking of the tables, they came with green beaded necklaces. Some of us put these on, and some others (Nisa) put a lot on! I had the pleasure of meeting Susan Votaw at this event. In her teaching career we were the first class she ever taught, making us so special to each other. She told me that she lived in Palo Alto at the time. Susan would work on her lesson plans while on the commute. What a card! For example, group pictures were planned for both the class of 1959 and our 1969 class. We queued up and waited for the 1959 class to finish. Just as they finished Susan got the line moving when she "pinched" a certain blogger on the rear. Ahem. The group pictures blogged earlier were from my camera. We will have professional group photos available in the near future as well. After the pictures and auction, Nisa and Rick as well as a member from the 1959 class were selected to draw the tickets for the money prizes. No classmates were monetary winners, but we were winners nonetheless. After the last prize was paid out the event was formally closed and transitioned to the music and dancing phase. I will discuss the tour of the upper classrooms and the dance phase in part 2 of the blog. The 1969ers: Rick, Peter J., Wayne, Dennis, (Patti), Twila, Valerie, Ramona, Sue, Danny, Nisa, Chris, and Susan Votaw. Enjoy the rest of the pictures!



3 comments:

Russ said...

Nice pictures and commentary! Thank you for sharing. Did you ever figure out which was our classroom for sixth grade?

Wabasco said...

Russ, not really. We spent our time in the forward classrom, street-side on the second floor, but we couldn't say for sure. All we knew is that is was one of those two street-side classrooms.

Twila said...

Wayne, thanks for calling my voice "sweet". That is a first! I do think we scared a lot of people with our shrieks everytime one of our classmates walked into the auditorium. There was a lot of hugging (but we did have almost 40 years to catch up on!).
Thanks for posting all those photos.