Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bascom's Babble: Final Report - My Sis Darlene!

The final report concerning reunion business concerns my wonderful visit with Darlene and her husband Dan. But first, The picture on the left is what I first saw when Darlene answered the door. Can any eagle eye see anything odd here? Darlene is a precious jewel. We had a great time sharing. Darlene's husband came home for a few minutes and warmed up a meal they had prepared for us. He had to hurry back to work, but it was great for the three of us (Darlene, me, and my mother) to sit around the table and just talk and eat. I think Darlene and I were doing much more talking than eating. In fact, the Darlene I remember was very quiet and so shy, yet this Darlene was able to share and share and never get tired. It was wonderful. I learned alot about her family, and about the fun she had working to find classmates and the joy at each discovery. As you can see from the picture my mother was hanging on every word! Ok, I might be exaggerating a bit there. I think we had a short lunch visit planned, but before we knew it five hours had passed. Darlene jokingly (was it jokingly?) said if we stayed for a few more minutes her husband would be home and we could all eat dinner. The time just flew by. I especially enjoyed all the old photos she had of her family and our classmates. I can't believe how cute you all were! But now I have another sis to go along with Nisa! Yes, we are family! Darlene has a beautiful home. She lives in Elk Grove, a suburd of Sacramento. She has a warm, comfortable yard with a nice pool (occasionally home to ducks she says) and patio. Her house is warm, filled with wonderful music and personal pictures intermingled with, um, various notes containing past and present passwords (I won't tell). This ends my babble on the reunion. I had an awesome, indescribable time with all of you. It's time for me to chill with the family and then wing my way back to Texas. Hey, take a look at the shirt I am wearing here and look at the star... it gives you a rough idea on just where San Angelo is located. My home is always open to anyone in our neck of the woods. I hope you all have a wonderful time in your upcoming events at Twila's and the summer get together. I'll be around again some time in the future. But in the meantime please keep in touch. I leave you with this final video. I love you all very much!

4 comments:

Russ said...

Wayne! Wonderful blogs. You let those of us not able to attend get a sense of the fun.

I hope this helps our classmates consider participating this summer.

Thank you for sharing ans safe journey back to the heart of Texas.

ricky said...

Wayne ,
I totally agree with Russ ...you did a GREAT JOB !!! Thanks for giving of your time to write about the events and post pictures of this last week ...I am sure that our classmates in other parts of the country will get a sense of what we had experienced...I really think you love the fact that you now have all these sisters from different mothers ...and I also know that Nisa, Valerie and Darlene appreciate you as their Texas brother ...Keep in touch ...Your Brown brother

Darlene said...

Wayne,
It is definitely not goodbye, it is hello. Thank you for taking me to the Class of 1969 reunion via photos, and words that made me feel as though I was sitting there. You did a wonderful job.
I was so glad to see you and meet your Mom. What a fun day we had together. Lots of laughs, hugs and stories.
Enjoy the rest of your week here, and a safe trip home to Texas.
Your Sis,
Darlene

RIlurky said...

Wayne, terrific job. Thank you for the play-by-play and the pictures.

Safe travels...John